A group of men seen interfering with a crocodile trap in Australia have been condemned by Queensland's environment department "in the strongest possible terms".
A man standing on top of a baited crocodile trap in Australia. Photo: Facebook
Photos posted to Facebook show the men climbing on top of and even inside a baited crocodile trap at the Port Douglas marina.
The trap is not far from where 79-year-old Anne Cameron was taken by a crocodile earlier this month.
The Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) has launched an investigation into the "stupid and reckless interference".
"These traps are specifically designed to attract crocodiles and they are deployed in places where a problem crocodile is known to be present," a department spokesperson said in a statement.
"It is extremely dangerous to interfere with a crocodile trap, regardless of whether or not there is a crocodile within.
STORY: Investigation launched after "stupid and reckless" men photographed interfering with croc trap. https://t.co/YlNoZi1CiG pic.twitter.com/CT7b9H8wzs
— ABC Far North (@ABCFarNorth) October 23, 2017
"It is not an exaggeration to say that interfering with crocodile traps can be potentially life-threatening for the person concerned."
The Queensland Government recently introduced penalties of more than A$15,000 for people who deliberately interfere with a crocodile trap.
Environment Minister Steven Miles said anyone with information on the matter should contact the department.
A Photo: AFP
"You've got grown men swimming in a crocodile trap, exactly where we put the bait for the crocodiles.
"The reason the trap is there is because we suspect there are crocodiles in the area.
"The trap is dangerous in and of itself, and of course if the crocodile were to appear that would be even more dangerous."
- ABC